Cards played – 52 cards, no Jokers.
Scoring – Winner completes gradually diminishing lines of cards over multiple rounds.
How to play Garbage, 2 or more players
- Shuffle cards.
- Deal 10 cards face down to each player, 2 5-card lines per player.
- Place remaining cards in draw pile in middle.
- Object of game is for each player to arrange five cards in the following positions: Ace, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine and Ten any suit. Jacks are wild.
- Player to the left of dealer begins the game by selecting the top card on the draw pile. If that card cannot be used in player’s line, card is placed face up on discard pile.
- If player uses card in their line, face down card from the line is turned over, and it may be used in another spot in their line or discarded.
- After a Jack has been placed in a line, it may be moved to another slot in line if another card can be played in slot occupied by the Jack.
- Round ends when all ten of the cards in a player’s line are filled.
- Next round is played with one fewer card in line for winner.
- Final winner is first player to fill 1-slot line with an Ace.
- If the draw pile runs out, all discarded cards except for the top card are shuffled to make a new draw pile.